HISTORY OF YOKOHAMA AMERICAN HIGH SCHOOL
The Japanese Girl's Commercial College in Yokohama on the West Bluff overlooking Yokohama was requisitioned by the Eighth Army in 1946 because of the need for a school for the sons and daughters of the American military personnel stationed in the vicinity. Thus began the Yokohama American school system, complete with eighteen students and two teachers. In 1947 larger enrollment necessitated the opening of a separate elementary school, Nasugbu Beach, and in 1948 a secondary elementary school, Negishi Heights.
The Bluff three story stucco building housed the high school efficiently until 1952 when as a result of the Peace Treaty, the Commerical College was returned to the Japanese and Yo-Hi moved to the Nasugbu Beach Elementary School. Formerely a Japanese school, Nasugbu Beach is located on the road between Areas One and Two. It includes nine main buildings and a number of annexes. This year a new improvement was added to the school when asphalt was laid, eliminating muddy grounds during rains. Shared by the elementary school and high school, the Beach school includes a library, a music room, gymnasium-auditorium, typing room, home economics room, dispensary, and high school science labaratory. A complete music and sports program, Student Council, and a school newspaper are some of the activities at Yo-Hi. The club program was handled primarily by Special Services.
Thus in twelve short years the school has expanded in many ways, giving the American student in Japan schooling quite similar to that of his own hometown.
Ernest A Hill
Shirley Carey (Typist), Harold Eubanks (Treas), Louis Simon (Sec) Mr Douglas Spaulding (Sponsor), George Quick (VP), Dan Trial (Pres)
Photos from George Casey's 1958 Yearbook unless otherwise noted