AN ABBREVIATED HISTORY OF SJIS
1988 - Beginning of the future of St. Joseph International School within Gyosei Gakko (Morning Star School) conducted by the Marianists in Tokyo.
1901 - September 20, Bro Loui Stoltz and five Marianists with seventy students assemble at 43, Bluff, Yokohama
1943 - The buildings and grounds are taken over by the Japanese army. Marianists and other foreigners are forced to evacuate and move to Gora, Hakone. There, as a small school, classes are conducted in the rooms and hallways of the broken-down Park Hotel.
1945 - Return to Yokohama. Both the Japanese and the occupation forces aid in the restoration of the school and in providing food and necessities.
1946 - Bro Soden is director as coeducational classes open on September 15, with 25 students: one week later there are 300 students.
1950 - The pre-war status of an all boy's school is resumed.