THE FIRST TEEN CLUB
The first "TEEN CLUB" in the Yokohama American / Nile C. Kinnick School system was called the NEETNAC. Neetnac spelled backwards is CANTEEN -- which during WW II was a U.S. Army term used to describe Recreation Centers -- a place where military personnel could rest, write letters, obtain food and beverages, and be intertained by famous entertainers including the Bob Hope USO Shows / Tours.
The club was located in an area that in 1947/8 was called Area X. Historically that area included the Negishi Race Track and Grandstands. The U.S. Army built that area into a new dependent housing complex which included a "grade" [elementary] school -- known as Negishi Heights Elementary. Area X was located Southwest of the city center, at the Western end of Tagatay Ridge. Area X was later renamed Negishi Heights, and the elementary school was renamed Byrd Elementary.
The Neet-Nac was organized as a recreation center for the children enrolled in the Yokohama American Schools. Plans were made in the early summer of 1947, and the repair work on the club began in September. In the first part of November a committee was chosen by the student body and the official opening was held on November 27, 1947, with a Thanksgiving dance. The dance was followed by a formal open house on Sunday, November 30, 1947.
Instrumental in the establishment and naming of the club was Mrs. R. F. McEldowney who was president of the organizing committee.
|BOARD OF GOVENORS||
The Neetnac opened on 27 November 1947. Opening ceremonies included comments by Major General Byers and Mrs. Douglas MacArthur.
Tony Craver (Neetnac Chairman), Gen Byers, Mrs MacArthur sign "guestbook"
Gen Byers, Mrs McEldowney, ?, Mrs. Douglas MacArthur
|Shirley O'Hanlon, Mrs P.L. Cook, Mrs. A. E. Schanze, Tony Craver, General Byers, Bill Willis, Ernest Meredith, Mrs. R. F. McEldowney, Fletcher Buckley, M/Sgt Leroy Gilbert|
S/Sgt M. Clifton
2nd Lt. G. Chaney